Sunday, March 15, 2009

something about Rosa Parks, Ani DiFranco, and... fish?

Welp, here I am on my time off and I had a pretty good week. The week before was a rough one-- one of my favorite girls graduated from the program, and the remaining girls were taking their frustrations out on me...
P3150469
And I go on in detail about the different challenges I've been facing. But yeah... that was a pretty rough week.

On my time off after that week, I returned to the water (the beach is only 2.5 hours from me). And it did me a world of good. Fish can't be out of water for too long. There's something so therapeutic in watching the ebb and flow of water... and watching water crash down onto the shore displacing objects that once seemed fixed.

When I returned to the woods, one of my girls had drawn me a picture of a seashell and she wrote "thanks for not quitting on us..." <== redeeming moment that makes me wanna do this job even if I were paid a nickel an hour!

Wednesday was "Chief Appreciation Day" where all the chiefs drove out to Dave and Busters to have a meal and play some video games away from the kids. It was kinda funny because nobody had the opportunity to shower so we just showed up stinky and in our camp clothes... and we all just stared blankly at the TV as though it were a totally foreign object. When I returned my campers gave me this poster:
P3150471
... yet another redeeming moment:)

Then thursday I had a family conference where I got to meet the kids' parents and talk with them about some of our issues this past session as a group before I let them go on their home visit. Something I would like to focus on next session is helping them find self worth without seeking male approval... but that's all I got. All in all, it was a transforming session.

THEN because all my girls got to go home, I had 4 days of time off! I went to Asheville and stayed in a hostel/ tried (and failed) to get into a sold-out Ani DiFranco show/ soaked up all the rich white liberal gunk I could stand.

Tomorrow is day one of a new 5 week session and I am ready (for once).

No comments: