Sunday, February 17, 2008

Me as a farmer at the Lo'i


289, originally uploaded by mandy.mantzel.

Working at the Lo'i has been, by far, one of the coolest experiences since I've been here. Throughout the week, we've been learning about Hawaiian sovereignty movements and their efforts to return to a more traditional society where property is communal as well as is work (thus breaking dependence on the US/capitalism) Hawaiian Lo'i are basically farms that any local Hawaiian who knows "the protocol" can come and work, as well as reap the harvest without having to use any monetary exchange.

On this day, I weeded the swampy Lo'i while dodging centipedes and crayfish (?) and mosquitos (oh my!) and then harvested Taro root (as seen in the picture). It was a really cool process to learn, and communal farming seems like such a cool concept that I would love to activate in my hometown.

No comments: